Thursday, January 09, 2014

Breckenridge Post 1…

What a blessed Christmas and New Year we had!  I just wish it hadn’t flown by so fast, but I think that’s every year!  This post is going to have to come a little out of order, but I just can’t wait any longer to post about our trip.  I’ll catch up on everything else soon!

So a couple of months back, Brandon and I decided that it would be fun to surprise the kids with a trip for Christmas from us.  There was no doubt in our mind on where we would go – our kids talk about SNOW on a daily basis.  If it rains and it’s under sixty degrees outside, they are hoping and praying it turns into snow.  They talked about it snowing for Christmas the whole month of December, so when we surprised them with a trip to Breckenridge, they were soooo excited!  Highlight of my Christmas!

When we came home from all of our Christmas Eve festivities, they had a huge surprise awaiting them in front of the Christmas tree.

IMG_0292

When they lifted the big box off, they found snowflake balloons and a note inside with two big boxes:

IMG_0296

The note on the box read:

IMG_6918 

 

IMG_0298

Inside the boxes were all their snow gear!

IMG_0300 IMG_0301

IMG_0302The video of them finding out his hilarious but I can’t get it to upload.  There are small clips of it on instagram that are pretty funny!  To say they were surprised is an understatement.  Then when they figured out we were leaving in three days, they were even that much more excited! 

So they found out on Tuesday, Christmas Eve that we were leaving for Breck on Saturday.  This left Mommy with lots of planning, packing and tying up loose ends before we left.  I also had over three hundred costumes to get ordered before the trip, but it DID all get done ;)

Y’all know how terrible I am with packing, and winter clothes take up SO much room.  Not to mention, since Brandon and I had never been skiing or stayed in a cold place, we had no idea what to expect or take!  SO we did what any Mommy would do – we took it all!  And, no suitcases were too heavy and we managed to get through the airports just fine with the help of luggage carts!

This is a look at Mallory’s room when I was trying to pack this all into suitcases!

IMG_6972

We flew out of Austin Saturday morning.  It was great – not too busy and I love the Austin airport, small enough for us to get around easily!

IMG_6981 IMG_6982 IMG_6986 IMG_6988 IMG_6991 IMG_6992

I know we’ve only been on airplanes twice with the kiddos and they’ve been pretty short flights, but they are such good flyers – not anything like their Momma!  On the way there, both of them slept the entire flight so Mommy and Daddy got some Candy Crush time in ;)  It’s less than two hours there, so that was even manageable for Mommy!

 IMG_6994

Once we got to the Denver airport, grabbed our luggage and went and got our rental vehicle, we headed down the road to Breckenridge – about a two hour drive.  Being we flew over lunch time, the kids were starving so we stopped at a Denver Taco Bell for a quick late lunch.  Yep, all the way to Denver for Taco Bell but the kids were in heaven:

IMG_6996

The drive was so pretty and the minute the kids started seeing “real” snow, they got so excited:

 IMG_7004

IMG_0369

By the time we got there and got checked in, it was already getting dark – it gets dark there before five.  It was a full long day of traveling.  Dayton and Mallory couldn’t wait to atleast get out on the balcony of our condo and get their hands in that snow!  We stayed at The Village at Breckenridge and loved it.  I’d definently stay there again!

IMG_7005 IMG_0372IMG_0373IMG_7006IMG_2196

So we bundled up for dinner and headed out to do a little exploring on Main Street and see some snow! IMG_7008 Mallory couldn’t even wait til morning to dive in.  First thing to do was make a snow angel:

IMG_7030

And brother followed:

IMG_7011

It would take us over thirty minutes to get anywhere because all these kids would want to do is touch any snow we walked by and make snowballs and just enjoy it.  It never got old to them.IMG_0375

Pretty lights on Main Street:

IMG_7013

We ended up at a cute little restaurant/pub called The Mother Load (I think).  We just noticed it seemed pretty busy, had football on tvs, and was family friendly so we went in.  We ended up loving it – I would totally recommend it.  I don’t think it has gotten great reviews but there was nothing about it I didn’t like.  This was not a heatlhy eating place – everything was fried but delicious.  I had fish and chips, but it was fried salmon and I loved it – served with a sweet chinese dipping sauce.  Wowza.  Brandon had chicken and waffles – equally delish!

IMG_7015 IMG_7017 

They gave out these cute little wax sticks instead of colors to keep the kids occupied and we had the best time with them!

  IMG_7020 IMG_7022 

Mommy had the best seat in the house – we were right by the front window so got to watch passers-by but also had the luxury of this fabulous heater right by me!

IMG_7023

My mom told me before I left I needed to drink hot buttered rum while I was there, so I was so excited to see it on the menu and of course couldn’t pass one up! IMG_7024 IMG_7028

For dessert there, we had s’mores on our table and Daddy ate a yummy fried twinkie!

IMG_7025 IMG_7026 IMG_7027    IMG_0382 IMG_0383  The pics from the first day aren’t all that amusing, but fun none the less!

No comments: